Saturday, August 29, 2009

So Desperate for Sleep

I may not have ever mentioned this, but I have some real sleep issues. For most of my life I have suffered from severe insomnia. For the last few years though, I rarely have trouble falling asleep. This would seem like a blessing, but it really isn't. Even though I fall asleep easily, I do not stay asleep and I do not reach the deep sleep stage where the restorative sleep happens. I have done the sleep studies where they hook you up to a hundred wires and watch you sleep. The results showed I am screwed. The doctors want me on meds that will supposedly help me reach deep sleep, but they will also cause side effects I am not willing to deal with.

As if this wasn't enough, my dear sweet children refuse to stay asleep during the night and insist on waking me and D up, begging us to come in their beds or let them in our bed. They have now decided they are terrified someone/monsters/aliens/or a ghost is going to get them. What the hell? Allowing them to sleep in our bed with us is not a viable option. I am all for attachment parenting, they did sleep with us when they were babies and toddlers, but now they are 5 & 8 and very restless sleepers. Our bed is not big enough and they keep us awake with their kicking and rolling around.

So any advice on how to get them to stay in their beds and get over these fears of monsters/aliens/ etc. is very much appreciated. As are any remedies for my crappy sleep. Oh, did I mention I now have a nasty habit of falling asleep in inappropriate places? Yes, like waiting rooms,peoples houses, driving down the road! Yeah, that sucks.

8 comments:

Krista said...

If it wouldn't bother you too much maybe you can throw a twin mattress into your room for scared kids to sleep on, but they have to stay on their bed and not crawl in with you. That way they're close but not kicking you.

I co-sleep with my toddler and I know how much flailing arms are not appreciated at night.

Crazy Vegan Mom said...

Thanks Krista, I have actually thought about that, but my room is so small it wouldn't even fit. Maybe I will try a sleeping bag and hope we don't step on them.

TWISTED SUSAN said...

My sister's two girls showed up at night and slept on the floor in her too-small room into their teens, nobody was the worse for it. The sleeping bag might be a good compromise.

Anonymous said...

get more exercise-you and your kids. it is proven that children who exercise a lot sleep much better. Adults too.

Crazy Vegan Mom said...

Anonymous,
I do get at least 60 minutes of cardio exercise in each day, and my kids get plenty of running around, so that is not the issue.

I did put a sleeping bag on the floor, but my husband didn't like the idea. He is now bribing them, (which I don't like) and it seems to be working for my son, but not my daughter.
I think I may just tell him we need to go with the sleeping bag whether he likes it or not.

zuben01 said...

night light? ... door open in their rooms? .... although i think it's more of an attention getter that becomes a night habit and maybe instead of giving in to the game and putting sleeping bag you gotta crack the whip ... tell them when their getting ready for bed, exactly what you expect from them ... there are no monsters, you are right in the next room and are there to keep them safe, and getting up in the middle of the night is not acceptable ... when they do get out of bed, simply send them back to bed ... they might cry, but after a couple three nights of this i think they might figure out their tactic to get your attention/let them sleep with you is just not going to work ... we went through similar situation with my son for a while, did this as adviced by out pediatritian and parenting class coach at local community parents center and it worked ... our son is three, so your older kids should understand the ground rules as well ... i'm no expert, just sharing our experience, good luck! p.s. ask your pediatrician what he/she thinks? ... there's a couple of books available on the subject too ...

Owner Nature's Nest said...

try a little yoga before bed. My husband has always been a very restless sleeper, but when he does about 10 minutes of yoga before bed he sleeps so much better! He just used some simple moves in a book called Yoga Over 50 (we are just 30yrs old hahaha)

Arishmary aka Arishmary Canada Ecodox said...

http://bit.ly/AriTrustsNativeRemedies Mom, I also have a hard time sleeping, sleeping? What sleep. But if it wasn’t for my Native Remedies, I’d have even more hard times. Please everyone having trouble sleeping (night tremors, ankle tickles, night terror/nightmares/sweats, etc), try my Native Remedies, you’ll be asking yourself where they were all your life. I have Fibro, Prescriptions could kill me, I’m starving as we speak, I’ve been up all night and still have energy, The native remedies does this for me. When I don’t take them, I suffer so many symptoms of Fibro. It really really sucks, but thank Goodness I found Native Remedies. http://bit.ly/AriTrustsNativeRemedies ALL NATURAL, HOMEOPATHIC REMEDIES, SOUTH AFRICAN, NO PALM OIL, NO DRUGS, NO SYMPTOMS JUST READ EVERYTHING. Muawww, xoxoxo